MUCWFAC Archives

May 2001

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
annie finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 17:44:45 -0400
>And, btw, congratulations, Eric!  Your priorities sound just right to me.

  Also, another concern that I imagine we may all share and that I
want to introduce to you:  I think we all feel that we should get
more recognition for the service work we all do re creative
writing--arranging and hosting readings and events, undergrad and
grad curricular reform, review of thesis procedures, the shared
reading lists, all our miscellaneous business.

>A logical first step is to have our meetings formally recognized as
>meetings of the "Creative Writing Committee" and to have that
>committee listed as a real committee on the annual committee form.
>I've spoken with Dianne about this a few times.  This last time,
>several weeks ago, she was very supportive and seemed to think it
>made sense--she remarked that other programs analogous to ours do
>have officially recognized committees, and the faculty get service
>credit for serving on them.

Would you please follow up on this with Dianne, in your new capacity,
Monsieur DCW, so that maybe we can finally check off "creative
writing committee" this spring on that committee preference form?!

Annie

>  Dear Cohort,
>
>         You will be pleased to hear, I hope, that I have agreed to
>be the new and
>newly-reunified Director of Creative Writing, beginning with the fall
>semester.  You should assume we will meet sometime during the second week
>of classes.
>
>         You might want to contact me by E-mail during the summer
>with any concerns
>and priorities for the coming year.  Top of my list is promoting the
>program/recruiting of graduate students, plans for 226, and finding sprint
>instructors for the spring.  It's also time, finally, to talk about
>curricular reform.
>
>         Would whoever's teaching the graduate poetry workshop in the
>spring please
>raise his or her hand?  Has anyone made any plans for a sprint insructor in
>poetry?
>
>         All best,
>

>         Eric

Annie Finch
Associate Professor of English
Miami University

"Form is the wave, emptiness the water""--Thich Nhat Hanh

Website:  http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~finchar/