MUCWFAC Archives

March 2011

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Tuma, Keith W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:31:08 -0400
First thoughts--sorry to make myself a pain in the ass about these things,
but it's part of what they pay me for these days and for better or worse I
am obliged to know something about these things, part from the fact that I
chair the committee reviewing the documents.

Assessment folks like active verbs. They compile lists of them. If you want
a few guidelines about assessment and outcomes and such, the CELTUA website
is great: http://www.units.muohio.edu/celt/assessment/basics/

I like the general statement at the top of this.

I like writing outcome one, though I'd use "Demonstrate" as in "Demonstrate
advanced close reading skills: e.g., the ability to identify and analyze the
various compositional elements of published and peer work . . . .

The rest of that is okay but might be tightened and limited--I'd say
"aesthetics of the work" though like the attention to architecture of the
whole

It might even be that this is actually two writing outcomes here--one about
particulars of technique (syntax, diction, etc.) and the other about
aesthetics of the larger work

2 is good--demonstrate the ability to respond editorially to each other's
work, offering useful practical advice for revision.

That would be enough, I think, three writing outcomes., the first split into
two.

4 and 5 are not writing outcomes. Also, you need this genre to have an
audience of professionals /peers to meet the CAS requirement.

So I'd say that the audience is first of all fellow creative writers
(professionals) and after that and ideally a general audience.

Keith