MUCWFAC Archives

August 2012

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Melbye, Eric Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:58:09 -0400
To add to Margaret's comment re: professionalization in CW, another option to consider for the future might be offering online courses geared somewhat toward Eng/CW in the work place, whatever that might mean (a course on creativity/innovation, for example). Online courses could be offered in a variety of ways, from traditional semester-long courses to sprint-length courses to self-paced courses. One advantage of such courses is that we could draw students from anywhere in the world, including students in our own backyard who need flexible scheduling and/or only want to take a single class for credit, or folks who are already in the work force and seeking continuing education opportunities. Such students may only want/need a few courses, rather than enrolling in a degree program with face-to-face courses only.

Here's an example of how one university is expanding its reach/generating revenue through online offerings. If you scroll the catalogue, you'll see a smattering of English-related courses. http://oce.illinois.edu/Catalog

Just a thought,
Eric M