MUCWFAC Archives

December 2012

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Schloss, David Mr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 12:45:07 -0500
Dear cris,

I think that there are genres and forms with in them that beginning writers would profit from by discerning. They can blur them later to their heart's content, but there's basic (historical ) information they ought to have before they start playing around, in my opinion. It's like artists who never learned to draw so have to content themselves with abstractions and ideas instead because they haven't mastered their medium. I regret the loss of traditional competence in the arts--they can build on these forms once they have them. To leap past the basics is to deny the needed grounding to fully play, I think. Picasso was rooted in traditions he mastered before he experimented with them (often showing his conceptual limitations, btw, to me).

My pre-holiday thoughts on this subject. I could go on, but that's the gist of what I think 226 ought to provide. They usually don't know what they don't know, It's up to us to give them a good grounding. And yes, habits of creative play are important to expose them to as well... But I wouldn't put the cart before the horse. Or is the horse creativity? They've been given that in the abstract, I think, before this course? Maybe not in a good directed way. I think 226 should do both: genres, forms. And how to think/feel like a writer.

David