MUCWFAC Archives

February 2012

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Melbye, Eric Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:44:55 -0500
If there's broad interest in pursuing CW Pedagogy offerings, I'd suggest incorporating them into a revised version of the training "program" currently provided to CW Grads, first, then building on it to create actual CW pedagogy courses if there's sustained interest/need. I say that only because, given pending retirements and current workloads, I'm guessing the dept. can't add new courses without taking something else away from the curriculum. And we don't want to do that. On the other hand, regional faculty (myself, at least) could potentially be added to the mix to handle additions re: trainings/courses in CW pedagogy.

In general, I'm interested in pursuing any options, ideas, etc., we can create to help foster pedagogical knowledge/experience in CW among CW majors. It can only help their chances in the job market, and could generate positive PR for the CW program, as well. I have serious reservations about how such offerings would appeal to regional students, though perhaps such courses could be cross-listed with Education courses, whose students tend to overrun regional CW courses, anyway. I do like the idea of CW grads teaching CW on the regionals in order to expose them to diverse audiences/learning styles, but that would also cut into my own ability to offer CW courses. There may be work-arounds there, though.

Eric M.