MUCWFAC Archives

February 2020

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Nesbit, TaraShea" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2020 15:42:13 -0500
Hi Colleagues,

I'm on a panel at AWP next month on working-class witnesses in
academia and it occurs to me that a great number of people in academia
do consider their experiences as a kid to be part of a working-class
background, but it can be hard to tell. Maybe even particularly for
writers at certain institutions there are more of us? Anyway, if you
feel comfortable, could you write me back and let me know if you would
describe your childhood background as working class? I won't name
specific people, just want to generally offer the results as it
relates to my experience.

Thanks!

TS

Working-Class Witnesses in the Academy

Room 206B, Henry B. González Convention Center, Meeting Room Level

Friday, March 6, 2020

3:20 pm to 4:35 pm

Working-class faculty of all backgrounds face material and
psychological obstacles in the academy. Burdened by student loan debt
and possessing a lack of cultural capital, how can these faculty
develop strategies for survival within a system traditionally linked
to wealth, access, and privilege? Working-class faculty will discuss
their experiences navigating the academic institution, including
side-hustles, scholarship, code-switching, and creativity, and posit
solutions for greater inclusivity.

--
Dr. TaraShea Nesbit
Assistant Professor