MUCWFAC Archives

November 2011

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cathy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2011 06:17:21 +0000
I can make Monday at 10 am.

-----Original Message-----

From: cris cheek <[log in to unmask]>

Sender: Miami University Creative Writing Faculty <[log in to unmask]>

Date:         Sat, 12 Nov 2011 00:36:26

To: <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: Hiring

Yes. Monday is good.  Of course we need to know that the Lit cohort are on board with whatever we discuss too? There's not much point in us dreaming something up that they do not have time to respond to. We ignore the diversity of the Lit cohort at our peril. Perhaps the Lit cohort could make some proposals of possible fields to us??

Really this whole business ought to have got going a couple of weeks ago. We wought to be meeting together with them.

There clearly are at least two strong hiring priorities being favored in Lit at present. There is general agreement about an 18th century hire. Then there are some who favor making a second proposal that could be a hybrid hire. Some favor ranking, in that order, some favor an open rank.

Some confusion is introduced by arguments in favor of diversity--minority hires . something that I favor. But I also get confused because it seems to me that all hires can be minority--diversity hires. I would argue that the true test of diversity would be to hire across normal expectation in every field, in other words to hire Islamic medievalists and so on ( a hire that would make a great deal of sense) . . and i'm also critical of such tendencies in myself by shying aware from trying to engineer or solicit exotic niche combinations that could become too narrow or isolated within the overall department fabric. To whit my sense that we need a big department-wide conversation about what kind of department we want to be and need to be by 2025.

cris