MUCWFAC Archives

November 2010

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Melbye, Eric Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:04:15 -0500
This is an interesting subject--I thought I saw so few CW majors in my classes simply because I taught at a regional, in a gateway program, and I assumed y'all on the main campus had 226 classes crammed full of CW majors. In my current 226, I have 2 CW majors out of 19 students. Integrated Lang. Arts and Middle Childhood Ed. make up the majority, which is the norm for this class, in my experience.

Class rosters for next semester look like this so far:
226: 11 students, 1 CW major
330: 7 students, 5 CW majors (someone please send me some students!)

Is there anything programmatically significant we should take from this statistic? I don't know. For me, it has always meant adjusting my 226 pedagogy so that I'm teaching skills that all students can use outside and beyond CW, regardless of their academic major. I try emphasizing the creative process more than writing craft in 226--creative thinking, critical/creative reading and analysis, etc.--though my writer's brain turns back to craft, anyway.

The other Eric
Eric Melbye
Associate Professor, English/Creative Writing
Miami University Middletown