MUCWFAC Archives

June 2011

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Schloss, David Mr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:48:26 -0400
Dear Keith and Cathy, et al.,

Perhaps our fiction writers can help clarify this. It's my understanding that some novels have chapters (even sometimes many) that had been published, but the work as a whole was "new." I don't know the rules for fiction contests, however. Since a novella is more like a short novel than a book of short stories (obviously), in regard to contests, I'd really like to know how they operate--I never noticed.

On first reaction, I thought the novella under discussion here was a new, though partly previously published work (ok, 3/4 published) but nonetheless, the logic of Keith's question seems to be that either it's been published in part (thus ineligible), or not at all, as an entity, in terms of our contest eligibility. This doesn't apply to short story collections for contests, I believe, because all the stories could have been published, but the collection (as a new entity is still eligible for all its contents... Please correct me, someone, if I'm wrong.

I'd hate to lose novellas for consideration that are already somewhat ratified professionally by others if the whole (greater than the sum of the parts, I hope) is a new entity. So, to say none of it should have been published can exclude some maybe significant works. Where to draw the line on this slippery slope is another matter. I can see that less than half the total length is one possible standard, but I, personally, wouldn't even reject the 3/4 published book. This new entity (presumably) is still unpublished, after all.

Of course, I'm not in charge of this decision for the Press and the possible legal ramifications. I'd hate to exclude works that have been partially published, myself; they may constitute a level of quality and vouchsafe some pre-publication publicity even, depending on where the pieces of it have already appeared. Certainly, this exclusion is the opposite of poetry contest eligibility, and probably short story contests. The best correlative would be novel contests, I think, and I'm just ignorant of the parameters of the eligibility for those.

Erring on the side, as usual, of liberality.

David