MUCWFAC Archives

January 2011

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Schloss, David Mr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:23:17 -0500
Dear Everyone,

This is David, chiming in. I think for someone less OCD about this, it shouldn't really take so long. Since the final judge need read only for that one winning ms., anything that won't make that final consideration for whatever reason needn't be read carefully all the way through. Especially first round mss. So, in fact there were about a dozen I read quite seriously, and about a half dozen of those I reviewed and re-read at various levels of attention to make the final decision. I had till New Years but finished by Dec 1. Remember, they're all about 3 hours, only if read closely all the way through. I wound up skimming many of the 50 I looked at in one way or another and reading a few that I knew weren't winner potential but which I just enjoyed, all the way through.

A ruthlessly efficient handling of this would take an extra 4-6 hours a week for about 2-3 months, I'd guess. [I'm not that ruthlessly efficient but compulsively assiduous with anything I take seriously enough to consider--I want to be as fair as possible to needy aspirants... but I did this level of response with 35 my first year, this year about 15. Next year (but I won't do it again: not fair at all to repeat entrants, or to have my particular predilections be the controlling factor for 3 years in a row), maybe 10-2, I'd guess.

You get the pleasure of helping a deserving writer get published in a difficult to place form--and even the runners up are grateful for the positive recognition. A karmic good deed. Good for the Press and the CW program, and eternal gratitude of the winners. And I enjoy making editorial suggestions on professional-level writing--sort of like cw teaching, but at a much higher aesthetic level.

I'm available for more detailed description of what this entails for anyone curious to know.

David