MUCWFAC Archives

December 2012

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Luongo, Margaret M. Ms." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:56:40 -0500
I would prefer to see 12 additional hours of creative writing courses as the core, rather than just the nine that we currently have. We could tell them to pick 4, with one at the 400-level, with the understanding that we're going to add more courses to this area. We might check into cross-listing the playwriting course that Theater offers and whatever else makes sense and adding those to the bucket.

I agree that we should allow electives from literature and PW, and possibly lit in translation from GREAL, unless that would become a nightmare for our lit faculty.

I don't love the idea of requiring 123 and 124. We ran into problems with that in the old major, which is why it's no longer a requirement in the new major. It ended up that senior CW majors were taking it because they had such a hard time getting into it. I don't think those courses will go away in the immediate future, even if we don't require them for our majors; people outside of English take them for the Miami Plan. Who knows what will happen when the Miami Plan is revised.

--Margaret