MUMODEMS Archives

July 1997

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Black <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 15:46:26 -0500
Allo,

I'm writing to inquire about the recent decision to remove terminal service
from the 9.4999, 9.2161, 9.6114 and move them to 3.0003 and 1.7700. I think thi
s decision makes sense for everyone except Incoming Freshman.

I understand the University's attempt to move everyone to ethernet service inst
ead of PPP service when living in the dorm, but this does not justify removing
simple text connections from this group of clientele.

I work at the Help Desk and already have had to explain to parent that their so
n/daughter would not be able to check their email from his or her room unless t
hey were willing to spend money on a new machine and purchase an ethernet card.
Removing terminal service....Oh for those of you not up on the current dial in
configuration, the 3.0003 and 1.7700 numbers are blocked if calling from a
first year dorm....does not address the current computing needs of the students