MUMODEMS Archives

May 1997

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
aaron t porter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 19:50:01 -0500
George Greer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Kevin Hock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
: > I don't suppose that it's possible to somehow get a static IP address with
: > the dial-up service?

: No.

: (unless you want to try something like buy a modem and phone line for the
: MUC and then get them to set up a PPP link with a static address for you,
: but don't hold your breath.)

        More like find MUC an office, buy MUC a multi-port serial card,
buy muc a modem, pay the install fee for a phone line, and pay the monthly
fee for the phone line.  Entropy is quite capable of providing dialup
access (slip, cslip, ppp).  But as George noted, the costs involved would
be far far far far far too high.

        Technically, the IP addresses for dialup lines are static.  I
haven't examined exactly how maimi has the phone stuff set up, but the way
I used to do it was a number of phone numbers each listed in rotary hunt.
Ie, 523-0003 through 523-0103, all calls to 523-0003 ring down in sequence
until you hit a non-busy number.  In theory, if you could find the last
number in the hunt, and dial direct, the chance that someone else would be
assigned the last number in serial is fairly low (at least off campus),
you would get the same modem and IP every time.  Now I suspect that Miami
has some more technical phone equipment than I did when I ran an ISP, so
this probably won't work, but I'm procrastinating.