MUMODEMS Archives

August 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Debra Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:37:57 -0400
Debra Allison wrote:

> The bank of modems for PPP service at 1-7700 (for on-campus callers) are
> having problems and were out of service earlier today.  We have someone
> working to fix the problem asap.  Past experience taught us to expect
> problems with new modems for several weeks after installation, so there
> may be intermittent service from any of the PPP modem banks for the time
> being.
>
> Please bear with us as we work out all the configuration issues
> surrounding this new service.

1-7700 is back up as of 2pm on Tuesday, Aug. 27.  Please be aware that
we will continue to have intermittent problems, most likely for several
weeks, on all the PPP modems (523-0003, 1-7700, etc.) as we get the
configurations all settled.

If you must have reliable service, you might want to consider visiting
one of the labs on campus (either the MCIS Learning Technology Centers
in Reid and MacCracken) or a divisional or departmental lab) or consider
using Kermit for email.  Obviously, it's not a good solution since you
can't use Netscape and Kermit has its own "ease of use" difficulties.

We know the lack of reliability on the PPP modems is frustrating to you.
Our time frame for installation and testing was too short.  We
appreciate any feedback you can give us on the problems you experience,
since this information will help us identify and solve the remaining
problems.  Many thanks for your patience and understanding.

Debi Allison
MCIS Assistant Director for Client Services