MUMODEMS Archives

August 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Doug Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:52:11 -0400
On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Captain Sharpe wrote:

<snip>

> Let me see if I have this straight:
>
> My password mysteriously changed last week to the new
> mmddlast4digitsofsocialsecuritynumber password without warning.  It
> took time, but I figured it out.

This happened to *everyone*.

> So here I am, using PPP to post this and I will lose this ability
> sometime soon not to return until next week because you are going to
> do something else to "student" accounts (whether "student" refers to
> undergraduates, graduates, or both who knows).

Student accounts are all non-faculty or staff accounts.  It sounds as
though you've got some better ideas for administrating a major network.
Please enlighten us!

> There will also be new, unknown, telephone numbers for me to figure
> out either replacing 9-2930 or in addition to it.

Do you think that they might *tell* us the new numbers *WHEN THEY ARE
READY!!*

> To add insult to injury, the above quoted message implies faculty and
> staff will not suffer from these outages.

You're right!  They aren't student accounts.  Why does that add insult to
injury?

Here we go.  This University has about 16,000 students, all of which need
an account on the University network.  This means you've got 16,000
student accounts to manage.  Now, that's quite a few to keep track of.
Even with automated tools to help out, the process of creating accounts
can take days.  The more users we get, the more time it takes.  So, in
order to keep things as clean as possible, you have to delete all of the
students who are no longer here.  How do you do that?  Well, they've tried
every way possible, and the best solution is to delete *all* student
accounts and recreate them from the current semesters class lists.

This is the way they do it.  I'm sure they would appreciate any *good*
ideas...

--Doug

Doug Ames                                      E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Network Technical Support                      Phone : (513) 529-4780
School of Applied Science
Miami University