MUMODEMS Archives

July 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Kinne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:50:36 EST
Hello All,

The most recent collection of MUnet PPP installation disks for DOS/Windows 3.1
platforms is ready to be tested.   There are 4 disks, the first
contains an installer, software for PPP, (and software for e-net).
The final 3 contain network software: Netscape,
Terminal Emulator (McGill), and Windows PH.  The installer is still
Beta, but we are getting close.  I would really appreciate your
comments.

To get connected with this package you need:
  A DOS/Windows 3.1 system, running at least DOS version 5
  8 Meg of RAM
  386DX processor
  40 Meg of free disk space
  The 4 PPP install disk images
  Modem
  Your Unique ID (Contact Barb Edwards for more info)
  Your password
  A copy of the following install instructions.  Please read them
    completely before you begin the install!

Note that Disk one also contains the installer for e-net connected
computers.  We are not recommending that you try this as the Novell
configuration is not yet finished.

To install PPP software on a DOS/Windows 3.1 (not a Windows 95) system

  Get a copy of the 4 disks from MUSERVER1:
     Logon to the Novell MUSERVER1 as GUEST
     Mount the volume MU1-APPS
     cd (or use filemanager) to get to directory
       SUPPORT\WIN\MU-INST\RES-INST\7$15$96
     cd to directory DOSDISK1
     Copy contents onto a floppy
     cd to directory ..\DOSDISK2
     Copy contents to a 2nd floppy
     do the same for DOSDISK3 and DOSDISK4

  Exit WINDOWS if it is active.

  Put the floppy in your a (or b) drive and issue the command

      a:install ppp

  This assumes that you have WINDOWS on your C disk in a directory named
  WINDOWS.  If your WINDOWS are somewhere else, the installer needs to
  know.  For instance, if they are on the D disk in a directory named WIN31
  issue the command

      a:install ppp winpath=d:\win31

  For the complete syntax of the install command issue INSTALL with no
  operands.  The other operand you may be interested in is PORT which
  allows you to specify a port other than COM1.

  The install program will tell you when it is time to insert the
  other disks.

  Reboot DOS after the install finishes.

  Start Windows 3.1

  Double click on DIALER in the MUNET COM (PPP) program group.

  Choose your origin location (i.e. on-campus, off-campus, long distance)

  Click on EDIT at the bottom of the screen.  This will take you to
  another screen that allows you to enter the phone number, which is
  529-2930.  This number may change before fall classes start.

  Click OK to confirm the phone number.

  Double Click on your origin location (e.g. off-campus)

  Enter your UniqueID & Password as requested.

  If the connection completes successfully you will get a message
  and the DIALER icon will minimize.  It has taken upwards of a minute
  for the process to complete for me (I was trying it on a slow processor
  and a slow modem.  On a 486 w/ a 9600 baud modem it has taken almost
  half a minute for the process to complete.  Please be patient.)

  The connection might not complete for several reasons:
    Wrong phone number
    Wrong UniqueID
    Incorrect password.
  In any of these cases a message to the effect that the connection failed
  will be presented.  The reason for failure is not given.

If you have problems, please call the Helpdesk at 9-7900.  They will
get you in contact with the right people to help.  Of course we are
interested in comments on MU.COMP.MODEMS as well.

Thanks for the help testing.

John Kinne