MUMODEMS Archives

July 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Doug Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:13:14 -0400
Hey, all:

I was messing around with my dial-up connection, and I noticed something
interesting.  When I attempted to connect to 529-2930 using my unique ID
and current Novell password, it would fail, telling me the device had been
disconnected.

(This is NT 4.0 Beta 2, but the dial up networking stuff is pretty much
the same as Win 95 and NT 3.5.1)

Under Dial-Up Network, choose More, Edit entry, then the Security tab.
Mine was set to Accept only encrypted authentication.  I changed it to
Accept any authentication including clear text.  After that, it seemed to
work every time.

I switched back to accept encrypted, and it failed every time.  Back to
accept any, and it worked again.

If there are any of you out there running NT 4.0, give this a shot to
verify it.  Anyone running NT 3.5.1 or 95, try looking at your session
properties and see if you can change the authentication method.

Good luck,

--Doug

Doug Ames                                      E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Software / Hardware Support                    Phone : (513) 529-4780
School of Applied Science
Miami University