MUMODEMS Archives

August 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Debra Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:42:20 -0400
PPP (Dial-In) Status Report from MCIS
August 28, 1996

The  PPP modems  (for "Point-to-Point Protocol") are not yet reliable
and not yet in production mode. [192 modems in Oxford (523-0003 for off
campus callers; 1-7700 for on-campus callers), and 48 each at the
Hamilton (737-2120) and Middletown (waiting on Ameritech for
installation) campuses.]

 Experience shows that we can expect problems with PPP for as long as
several months while configuration problems become apparent and are
resolved.  We appreciate any feedback that will help us identify any
problems you are having.  While we targeted August 26 as the date for
PPP production status, the modems remain unstable.  The modems on 1-7700
were out of service for over an hour on August 27; the problem with the
modems not ringing was fixed around 1:30 p.m.  Later, the modems would
intermittently not allow you to connect to the server.  Then last night,
they were erroneously busy from 8pm until this morning.  We suspect bad
hardware that needs to be replaced.   The reliability of the modems is
increasing as we uncover and correct these problems.  If you encounter a
problem, first try connecting again at a later point.  If your inability
to connect to the modems persists, please report it to the MCIS Help
Desk at 529-7900.

523-0003 (for Oxford off-campus callers) is operational, but expect
intermittent service.  As of August 26, only off-campus callers can
access these modems.  Access from residence hall rooms is blocked.

1-7700 (for Oxford on-campus callers) is operational.  Only on-campus
callers can access these modems.  Expect intermittent service.

737-2120 (for Hamilton campus callers) is operational, but expect
intermittent service.

Middletown line is not yet operational; we are waiting on installation
by Ameritech.

The timeline to get this service operational by August 15, 1996, was too
short.  We're pushing to get the PPP service available as quickly as
possible.  While we hope to have a first-rate network, we are still very
early in the development.  You should anticipate that there will be
times when the network is unavailable as we proceed to iron out
remaining problems.   Please bear with us and help us turn this into a
first-rate network.

For those who are not familiar with PPP service, it allows access to the
same network services via dial-up that are available with a direct
Ethernet connection.  While communication over a modem and telephone
line is slower than with a direct Ethernet connection, you are able to
use Netscape to access the Web in full graphical mode, send and receive
email, and telnet just as if you had a direct Ethernet connection.

For reliable service until the PPP modems are in production mode, you
may choose to use Kermit software for access to the MIAVX1 or MIAMIU
computers, in order to access email and the Web in text mode.
Alternatively, if you are a student, you may wish to use one of the
networked computers in the MCIS Learning Technologies Centers on campus
(in Reid and MacCracken Halls) or a departmental or divisional lab.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and assure you we are working as
quickly as possible to get the PPP service operational.  We will
announce availability in the MU.COMP.MODEMS newsgroup.  In addition, the
MCIS Help Desk will be able to give you the current status of PPP
service.  Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work
through issues during this Pilot Test, delivering greatly expanded and
improved services.

Please pardon our dust as we work to bring you a full-service data and
video network.

Thanks,
Debi Allison
MCIS Assistant Director for Client Services