MUMODEMS Archives

November 1994

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 20:50:16 -0500
In article <1994Oct29.090622.32582@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(James McCutcheon) writes:
> Sometimes I call 4999 and must be getting a bad modem...
>
> After I log on, it prints a screenful of garbage, and then drops carrier. If
> call back right away, the same thing happens; but if I wait a few minutes and
> call back, it connects all right.

Mine just goes nuts!  I get several screenfulls of garbage (and a bunch of
error beeps), and sometimes even a dialog saying my computer is recieving ( a
la zmodem). I have to turn off the modem and wait till the computer's buffer
empties before I can do anything. Usually if I call right back, I got on ok,
but today it happened over and over for about 15 minutes.

> I've also got a (probably) unrelated problem where the modem simply drops
> carrier w/o warning. This happens typically once every day or two, and
doesn't

> NO CARRIER

Hmmm... well, mine doesn't do a no carrier, but rather just logs me off with a
terminal idle too long message. Normally, not a problem, but in this case it
happened right in the middle of a news response (I was typing the message in
EVE at the time).

> James--

Regards,
Bob
--
.sig destroyed in a natural disaster; undergoing reconstruction