MUMODEMS Archives

August 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 22:17:40 EST
Well lets see.......

1) It was always said that this system was not a production system.  It was
   beta!!!!

2) Beta means not ready for people to use, and could not work at any time.

3) Novell uses these things called containers to hold all the users in an NDS
   tree, and if I understand right, Having all the students in one container
   called "student" can be somewhat of a headache (Boyd correct me If i am
   wrong) And an outage of you being without PPP for a couple of days is a very
   low concern for the better service that changing this could give you.

4) If you are familar with the Student NDS login, you would remember that last
   year at this time all the passwords were redone.  This is in part to the
   fact that the student account were recreated and you were allowed to login
   to servers that you may need to use for class.  Now I'm no expert on NDS and
   there may be a better way to recreate without destroying pervious passwords.
   Just deal with it because it is done.

5) If you are so upset about the service that was provided for the summer.  Why
   don't you go purchase an ISP account from someone like Netcom, FUSE, IAC....
   Oh... you can also pay at least $20.00 a month.  Maybe that will get you on
   at any time. But wait you have to pay for that.

6) These two weeks befor classes start is the time when the least number of
   students are on campus so this seems like the best time to do this.

Paul S. Gentle

> Let me see if I have this straight:
>
> My password mysteriously changed last week to the new
> mmddlast4digitsofsocialsecuritynumber password without warning.  It
> took time, but I figured it out.
>
> So here I am, using PPP to post this and I will lose this ability
> sometime soon not to return until next week because you are going to
> do something else to "student" accounts (whether "student" refers to
> undergraduates, graduates, or both who knows).
>
> There will also be new, unknown, telephone numbers for me to figure
> out either replacing 9-2930 or in addition to it.
>
> To add insult to injury, the above quoted message implies faculty and
> staff will not suffer from these outages.
>
> <sigh>  You would think figuring this stuff out was enough to deserve
> a Ph.D. (or at least another M.A.).

> Member of the Miami Psi Corps
> and lurking in the Shadows
> http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~doyonta

 Paul S. Gentle                         |  The statements in this post are
 NeXTSRV Admin                          |  my own and do not reflect the views
 College of Arts and Science            |  of Miami University or The College
 Miami University                       |  of Arts & Science in any way.
 http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~psgentle     |  They are simply my opinions!