MUMODEMS Archives

March 1995

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:44:43 EST
   I thought this might be of interest

 ======================================================================= 202
Date:         Fri, 24 Feb 95 10:24:15 UTC
Subject:      Replies - Modem Questions
Thanks to all (10 of 12) who sent the information we requested about
modem pools and usage.  The compiled data appear below:

**What is the size of the dial-in modem pool for the use of your off-
  campus students?

Akr:  VTAM (IBM): 21 lines, max 2400 baud.  Network terminal server:
      21 lines, max 9600 baud; 10 lines, max 2400 baud.

BG:   95 modems.

Cin:  94 lines     0-2400 bps
      60 lines     V.32bis/V.42bis
      32 lines     V.32bis/V.42bis SLIP/PPP

Clv:  64 lines.

Mi:   54 14.4K bps modems, and 8 2400 bps modems.

OSU:  400 modems, with 300 of those in a SLIP service and the re-
      mainder for traditional asynchronous dial-in.

Tol:  80 modems.

WS:   Current size is 48.  Adding ten modems within 6 weeks.

Yng:  17 lines     7171 full-screen mainframe
      15 lines     Xyplex terminal server (Unix)
      12 lines     Youngstown Freenet

**How do you fund the costs of the pool?

Akr:  Funded through department of Info Svces budget.  No student
      fees go towards these lines.  It's a problem.  We can't afford
      nearly enough lines, and there is no funding proportional to
      the number of students serviced available to us.

BG:   No fee.  From Comp Svces budget.

Cin:  The cost of the pools are through general funds.  We don't have
      a general info tech fee, although some colleges within UC have
      a $100 per quarter computer lab fee.

Clv:  The departmental budget covers the cost of funding the pool,
      and there is no fee currently.

Mi:   They are funded from the IS departmental budget.

OSU:  We have funded this out of our operational budget.

Tol:  Funded entirely from the Computer Services budget.

WS:   Current funding structure is the Computing and Telecommunications
      Dept paying for 48 monthly line charges and all of the terminal
      server and modem equipment.  Computer Science/Engineering pays
      line charges for 10 lines.  We hope to receive budget augmenta-
      tion to subsidize expansion of the modem pool.

Yng:  Funding is a joint effort between Telephone Svces and the
      Computer Center.

**Do you block on-campus resident students from accessing the outside
  modem pool?

Akr:  No blockage of lines from anywhere.  There is no direct connec-
      tion available to residence halls yet, although there are a few
      labs for them.

BG:   No.

Cin:  On-campus phones are blocked from 7-digit dialing of numbers
      on our PBX exchanges.  We do not block internal calls to the
      modem pool using 5-digit dialing.

Clv:  We do not block on-campus resident students from accessing the
      outside modem pool.

Mi:   We do not distinguish between on- or off-campus use.

OSU:  No.  Since student stay in our dorms is typically two quarters,
      we feel that our slip service is a good alternative for them.
      We don't think it makes sense for students to buy an ethernet
      card for such a brief period.

Tol:  No.

WS:   Yes.

Yng:  On-campus users can obtain an outside line and then use that
      route to dial these services.  We also have 10 on-campus dial-
      in lines to the mainframe.

**What is the ratio of off-campus students to the number of modems?

Akr:  Estimated, 24,000 off-campus students to 52 lines.  (438:1).
      No, we don't have enough lines.

BG:   There are approximately 8,000-9,000 off-campus students (89:1).

Cin:  My best guess (of off-campus students) is in the 25K to 30K
      range.  This would leave a ratio of about one modem for every
      150 students.  This ratio is too low, since the modems are
      always busy, even in the early morning hours.  I am in the
      process of ordering 60 add'l modems and lines to add to the
      pool, but this may not even be enough.  Slip and PPP-type con-
      nections have really driven up the demand.

Clv:  277 students per modem.  This doesn't take into account the
      number of faculty or staff who might also be dialing in.

Mi:   We have approximately 6,000 off-campus students and 5,000 on-
      campus students plus 1,000 faculty/staff attempting to use
      60 modems.  We figure there are 4,000-5,000 active users trying
      to use these modems.  (Note:  The off-campus student to modem
      ratio is 81:1.)

OSU:  Much too low.  Roughly 1 modem for each 100 students.

Tol:  There are about 20,000 off-campus students, so the ratio is
      250:1.

WS:   15,000 to 58.  (259:1)

Yng:  There are about 13,500 off-campus students, so the ratio is
      between 1,125 and 794 students per line.

************
Ohio U replied that there is currently nobody 'in charge' of all
technology.  The univ has a search underway for a CIO-type person.

Shawnee State replied, SSU does not offer dial-in access for students
to computing resources at this time.  The Library does have 2 dial-
in lines to access library catalogues, but these are available to
the public and not just students.
     Faculty and administration have dial-in access through 2 modem
blocks.  One modem block has 4 modems and operates at 2400 baud,
while the other has only 2 modems operating at 19.2.
     If you're wondering why we don't offer students dial-in options,
I might add it's because the students and univ staff are not using
the same computer systems.  Academic Computing was a separate computing
dept until Nov.  In the next year, I will be reviewing how we can
expand services to students and hopefully offer dial-in access some
time in the future.

Again, thanks to all of you for your time and assistance.

Louise Easly