MUMODEMS Archives

December 1994

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 16:51:42 -0500
In article <1994Dec2.213929.35092@miavx1>, [log in to unmask] writes:
> Yes, you are getting almost your full modem speed IF YOU ARE using a Mac. I
get
> 1200 to 1300 cps using Zmodem on my Mac connecting to MIAVX1.
>
> BUT, I always get 1300 to 1450 cps using Zmodem on my 486.

It makes no difference what platform you're on, it is all the other variables
which make the
difference: your modem, your modem's configuration, your software and its
configuration, the load
on the mainframe, and the amount of noise in the lines, not to mention the data
you are
transferring. Like I said, I get a minimum transfer rate of about 13,000 bps,
which works out to
1,625 cps. The fastest I have ever gone is about 27,500 bps, or 3,437.5 cps. I
am using a mac with
a 14.4 modem. I have only gotten zmodem to work a couple of times, and both
times, I achieved about
21,000 bps or 2,625 cps.

Regards,
Bob
--
|  Robert E. Williams, Jr.                             |
|  Enterprise Software                                 |