MUTALK Archives

November 1996

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
George Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:59:43 -0500
As I recall, from actually installing MUnet on a Professor's computer
That did have Win3.1 and COM4, their setting on the Com port or IRQ
are wrong...can't remember which is though.

> : I'd really be interested in reading theories on how the system might be
 brought
> : down by a couple crazy college kids (or employees?).  I wonder if discussing

> I have this nifty program on Nidhogg that can tear down individual
> systems.  I suspect that with a few minor modification, it could bring
> down the entire network.  (For those of you who are interested, it is a
> modification of a Dragon users fork()ing program that (a) uses a while()
> loop instead of for() loop and (b) it returns control of the terminal to
> the user that started it instantly so that it can be killed.  If left
> running long enough, it brings load averages past 200 and will slow it
> down so much a system reset is the only feasible method of getting the
> computer back.)

As the person who pulled Dragon out of it's "fork bomb", I have to
say that it can be done, except that in this case I knew the complete
pathname to the file that was running the fork bomb.  I also knew
from memory that 'fuser -k' kills all PIDs associated with a file.
Using that knowledge and after waiting 30 minutes just to su, and
another 30 minutes for the fuser to go through, I killed the thing.
total time: 5 hours on the bomb, and it was 262 load, James.
(if you don't know the name of the file, just shutdown)

> : something like this would be one of those nasty Code 1 offenses about
 planning
> : to destroy computer equipment or something like that..... I'd definitely
 like

--
George Greer    Student Systems Co-Administrator of Dragon
[log in to unmask]      http://www.ham.muohio.edu/~greerga