MUTALK Archives

October 1994

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 10:38:41 -0500
In article <1994Oct10.022209.30987@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Adder) wrote (in part):
> In article <1994Oct10.010405.30980@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(John B Harlan) writes:
>> Do you think it wasn't a good move because of logistical considerations
>> (i.e., Miami doesn't yet have a fully implemented campus network connecting
>> all academic buildings, residence halls, etc, and our modem pool supply
>> can't meet demand) or on general principle?
>
> Several reasons, the foremost of which is the very limited infrastructure for
> remote access.  We have far too few modems and absolutely NO ethernet to
> residence halls or other living areas.  Heck.  Some of the ACADEMIC buildings
> aren't even on ethernet.  This is, to my thinking, unacceptable.

Agreed absolutely.  But adding 30,000 accounts on each platform (VM and VMS)
helps force the issue of completing the infrastructure and providing greater
remote access capability.

> Also, as long as MCIS or whoever is in charge of the computer e-mail, etc.
> coursescontinues to teach people primarily on the VM system, I have
absolutely
> no faith in our turning out Miami U. students with "computer literacy".

VM and VMS e-mail instruction is being offered on a pretty equal basis this
fall with the advent of automatic accounts on both platforms.

> Machine rant: HOW COME WE DON'T HAVE A CENTRAL UNIX NODE?  This steams me no
> end.  Grr.  Grrr.  Not that *I* care; I've got my own UNIX account, but the
> 68030 NeXT stations (the only campus-wide providers as of yet) are simply not
> heavy and fast enough to support what they should rightfully expect as the
> superior operating system of all time. :) :) :)

MCIS didn't have a full-time UNIX support position this time last year, but
this spring a position was created and filled (quite capably, by Rob
Pickering), so progress *is* being made.  I think Miami will be a much more
UNIX-friendly environment in the next few years.

--
                           John B Harlan
        Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator