MUTALK Archives

October 1994

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James McCutcheon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 12:22:00 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (March Hare) writes:
>:but then I discovered the InterNet, and just haven't seen a reason to
continue
>:using HAM radio. Right now you can meet literally thousands of people through
>Hate to burst your bubble, but there are people who network computers via
>HAM radios.  In fact, a new version of the KA9 (?) packet program was recently
>released.

Bob pointed this out as well (I would encourage you to post your email here in
the newsgroup, Bob). What this means, in fact, is that HAM radio has become
yet another entry point into the 'Net, and granted it has some features
(mobility, ease of setup) which make it preferrable in certain cases. On the
other hand, many of the features are becoming commonly accessable via the PC
now (through RLN, WaveLans, and similar devices), and this trend doesn't appear
to be slowing down.

I'm not saying that HAM Radios are useless, to be sure. Nor am I saying the
people that use them are hopelessly stuck in the past. I remember my
fascination in learning morse code, and then using my computer to transmit data
over the airwaves. However, all the needs I have which could be addressed with
HAM radio are also fulfilled through access to the InterNet, and (in my
opinion) much more effectively and efficiently. I can't say that the opposite
is true, However, everybody has different needs, so I don't doubt there are
people which would actually prefer HAM radio over InterNet access.

> :did the Pony Express last after the delivery of the first telegram (to
> Yeah, but the Post Office is still alive and well.

Sure it is, and people still send FAXes when E-mail (even digitial documents)
could be just as effective and much cheaper. Why? Because people are more
comfortable living in the familiar past than embracing the unknown.

Later,
James
- - - - -
James McCutcheon - JRMCCUTCHEON@MIAVX1  http://phoenix.aps.muohio.edu/~jmccutch

    "I'd rather believe that you were reacting to the fact that I didn't
     make a decision, rather than make a decision myself."-- Jason Baker