OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:11:18 -0400
Weather was not exactly good for birding so I was running errands in Heath. I was stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left onto Rt 79 to go home when I saw a large bird with strong wing strokes coming towards me in the rain.

Initially I thought it was just a crow but then I saw pointed wings so I watched it more closely. It shook itself in flight to shed some raindrops before continuing on and I saw that it was a large falcon. just before the light changed, I got a glimpse of its head before it was out of sight. It was a Peregrine! I have no idea what was doing over Route 79 headed west/NW in the rain but I’ve seen peregrines fly in terrible weather in Cape May—it doesn’t seem to bother them in the least. V cool. A year bird.

Went to the reserve for a short walk late afternoon when the rain let up. Not much around but had a Cooper’s Hawk fly over. Saw a Bay-breasted w/a lot of color, a male BT Blue & a Com YT. Swainson’s Thrushes, Peewee.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhonl