OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2017 06:53:51 -0500
Hi,

Please also keep in mind that with the social media groups, admission to
the groups is not open to all.

Birding Ohio, in particular does not admit people the administrators don't
like for one reason or another, and people get blocked, not for violating
the group rules, but for having positions on issues unrelated to birding
that do no agree with the administrators; even these positions were not
expressed in the group itself. So that group in particular is not one that
has rules which are applied equally, as in this list serve, but rather are
arbitrary and based upon personalities the cliques' politics and conformity
to certain ideologies.

Ohio Rare Bird Alert is also a restrictive group, however it is not at all
administered in an arbitrary manner.  If you are allowed to join and follow
the rules there are not problems. The problem is you have to be known to
the administrator as having a genuine interest in Ohio Rarities to be
allowed in.

One of the best ways of staying  informed about rarities is to configure
your eBird account to send you email alerts. These can be set to cover
various geographies depending upon your interest.  eBird is thankfully
apolitical and the reviewers of rarities are first rate. Times have changed
though and without photographic evidence it is unlikely a report will will
be considered as having enough evidence. Gone are the days when a detailed
written description or sketches made in the field will be sufficient.

Haans

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>