OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
PAUL GRAHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAUL GRAHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2020 10:32:20 -0500
This is a non-bird alert but it potentially affects all of us birders.

The highly destructive spotted lanternfly has been found now in Ohio. One of the things that an infestation will destroy are hardwood trees.

So I decided to send this out to the birding community because we are always out looking at trees. Please go online and familiarize yourself with what this moth  looks like, it’s very distinctive. If you see it please call the Ohio Department of Agriculture- they have a hotline number on their website. If this thing gets established in our forests  it’s going to be really bad.

We all need to step up our vigilance and protect our forests - both urban and rural.

Thank you,
Paul Graham