OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2017 23:29:28 +0000
Greetings!
I was out scouting for the Mansfield CBC at Clearfork Reservoir [Mansfield, OH] and just had 15 Cackling Geese drop down onto the lake with 6 Canada Geese. The circled right overhead for a great size and sound comparison with their larger cousins. It was fantastic hearing their calls as they flew overhead! They landed in the far SE corner of the reservoir, south of the dam spillway. Many, many geese were already on the water in that area. If you show up at dawn, you might get them before they head out for the day. Lake was loaded! I had 13 species of waterfowl and 4 species of gulls there this evening. Hoping everything sticks around for our CBC on Saturday!

Really excited because I have never, ever found Cackling Geese on my own before (always with my birding buddies) and this also adds another bird to my Richland County list! :)
Good Birding!
Jason
Jason S. Larson  Executive Director - Richland County Park District/Gorman Nature Center/B&O Bike TrailCurator - Muskingum University Herbarium (MUS) 2295 Lexington Avenue Mansfield, Ohio [log in to unmask]@gmail.com 419-884-3764gormannaturecenter.org