OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2015 17:39:07 -0500
I spent 3 hours in the morning hiking through several parks along the Scioto gorge in Dublin (NW suburb of Columbus), staying out of the wind & looking for winter strays.  I stopped at Kozscuiscko Park, Traphagen Preserve, O'Shaughnessy Dam, Donegal Cliffs (an old riverside quarry, now a park), and Kiwanis Park.  The reservoir above the dam, as well as the river below Kiwanis, are frozen over, so the only open water lies along the steep grade of the gorge between the dam and Kiwanis.  Notables included:
Great Blue Herons - 12 were below the dam, which is a bit low for this spot
Waterfowl - big flocks of geese at both the dam and Kiwanis; Mallards at many places; a few Black Ducks mixed in with the flock below the dam.
BaldEagle - 1 subadult was being chased around the riparian area below the dam by a Red-tailed Hawk
Woodpeckers - nothing other than the expected Red-bellies, Downies, Hairies, & Flickers
BrownCreeper - not common; could only find 1 (at Kiwanis) despite being in good habitat all morning
Kinglets - only found 2 Golden-crowns, both along the gorge edge at Frink Park (O'Shaughnessy dam)
E.Bluebirds - 1 was at O'Shaughnessy dam (Frink Park), while 6 were at Donegal Cliffs (taking advantage of a neighbor feeder)
Yellow-rumped warblers - only found 2, at Kozscuiscko Park
Sparrows - 3 Trees were at Traphagen, while the only White-throats were at Kozcuiscko and Kiwanis
Pine Siskin - 1 was around Donegal Cliffs, probably attracted by the feeder array south of the park that had the bluebirds