OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2017 02:04:54 +0000
My son and I birded from Fairport to Conneaut today. Things started good with a snowy owl along Fairport- Nursery Road (thanks Anders). We stopped at Fairport, Geneva State Park, Ashtabula, and Conneaut. It was pretty slow at most of the stops with just gulls and red-breasted mergansers until we hit Conneaut. We had a fair number of gulls in the harbor. We had an adult LITTLE GULL feeding with Bonapartes at the mouth of the creek. We checked the remainder of the harbor and on a hunch we decided to recheck the harbor. While scanning the water I found an adult CALIFORNIA GULL out with the ring-billed gulls in the harbor. I was able to see it flapping its wings a bit to see the dipped in ink wingtips. I got some distant shots but it was 4:30 by then. We watched it quite a while. In retrospect I wonder if we should have hit Conneaut first and worked our way west and we would have had more time. Although if we had gotten there earlier it may have not been there as gulls were coming in to roost. The snowy owl at Fairport was the only one we ended up seeing.

John Pogacnik