OHIO-BIRDS Archives

April 2019

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2019 13:51:51 -0400
Spring has sprung—I enjoyed 2 La Waterthrushes calling, singing and chasing one another along the stream on the Hemlock Trail this morning. A welcome sight/sound after what seems a v long winter. I found it interesting that I did not see or hear them walking in but about a half hour later around 10:45, they were impossible to miss.

Brown Thrashers, E Phoebes & E Towhees quite vocal at several places.

One hen turkey by the road. Golden-crowned Kinglets, a few Tree Swallows. A pair of red-taileds were circling and doing leg dangles. O/ w fairly quiet.

I might have seen the Broad-winged Hawk mentioned in another post. As I was nearing the turnoff to the park, I saw a pale buteo that didn’t seem right for a red-tailed but at 60mph and having to watch traffic, I only got a cursory look.

The flood last week was even bigger than the one I noted the extensive effects of about a month ago. Clear Creek has reshaped itself in a number of spots. Impressive amounts of sand redistributed, deep bank erosion, many trees down. Looks like fast-moving water was over the road in places.  Across from the Hemlock trail, debris near clear Creek was 3’ up a tree on the bank.

Logan Lk was quiet but I added a single Rough-winged Swallow, Field Sparrow, several grackles, 2 Great Blue Herons and 3 scaup sp.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone