OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:41:10 -0500
Please join us as a Columbus Audubon/GIAC member and/or guest, as we welcome
former Westerville North High School science and ecology teacher and
researcher herpetologist, Doug Wynn, to discuss some amazing aspects of his
more than 25 years of field research.

Nadya Bennett and Darlene Sillick

Columbus Audubon co-program chairs

The Timber Rattlesnake is Ohio's largest venomous snake, reaching a record
length of 74 inches. Timber Rattlesnakes were historically found across much
of Ohio, but their range has been reduced to three general areas - largely
public forests and are listed as an endangered species in Ohio by the Ohio
Division of Wildlife. At this time, their reproductive characteristics are
insufficient for survival since they cannot keep up with the present levels
of intentional killings, road mortality, commercial collecting, diseases,
and habitat destruction. A realistic evaluation recognizes that controlling
habitat destruction is the only practical solution to preventing the Ohio
Timber Rattlesnake from extirpation. Present management plans by the Ohio
Division of Forestry include an increase in logging and the use of
controlled burning. Research published in scientific journals indicate that
Ohio's forestry plans will likely be devastating to our Timber Rattlesnake.

Please join us as we welcome Doug Wynn, Herpetologist, who will ask the
question: Ohio's Timber Rattlesnake: After Twenty-five years of Studies are
we Documenting an Extirpation?

7:00 - 7:15 pm: CA Short Program: Kendra Wecker, Wildlife Diversity
Coordinator for the Ohio Division of Wildlife, will review the Ohio Wildlife
Legacy Stamp program

7:15 - 7:30 pm: Social time, light refreshments and Bird Quiz with study
skins from Dr. Angelika Nelson and fun quiz with a special prize.

7:30 - 9:00 pm: Main program, door prizes

This Columbus Audubon program is free and open to the public. All programs
are held at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center 505 West Whittier Street in
the Scioto-Audubon Metro Park on the Whittier Peninsula).