OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2015 21:16:42 -0500
I stopped by these 2 MetroParks in NE Columbus at different times today to see if the snowfall had driven in unusual feeder birds.  Blendon Woods feeders were full & active, but the trailside feeders at Sharon Woods weren't even set up yet.  Unfortunately, the birds didn't seem to realize it, as many were lurking around the feeder locations.  If they're not feeding birds in this weather, when will they feed them?  Despite the deep snow, there were plenty of birds in both parks, mostly abundant residents, but also with a few unusual birds.  Thoreau Lake at Blendon continues to be a duck magnet, but Shrock Lake at Sharon was almost completely frozen, except for a small patch kept open by a flock of Canada Geese.  Notables included:

Green-winged Teal - 3 still are lingering at Thoreau Lake, among the Mallard/BlackDuck horde
Sapsucker - 1 was eating poison ivy berries along the Thomas Trail at Sharon Woods
Tufted Titmouse - not normally noteworthy, but I had 20+ in a little over an hour at Sharon Woods, a very high # there
Brown Creeper - not many, but I did find singles at both parks (Thomas Trail at Sharon, Lake Trail at Blendon)
Yellow-rumped Warblers - singles were at poison ivy berries at Thomas Trail & Spring Creek Trail, at Sharon Woods
E.Towhees - 3-4 were lurking in greenbrier tangles at several points in Sharon Woods
Tree Sparrows - both parks had them, with Blendon Nature Center feeders leading the #s with 8-10
Swamp Sparrow - 1 was in the north meadow at Sharon Woods
White-crowned Sparrows - 2 were at the Blendon feeders early, seen by naturalist Andrea Krava
White-throated Sparrows - many small groups, with 20-25 at each park
Pine Siskin - at least 1 was hanging around the Blendon Woods Nature Center feeders