OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2017 10:30:45 -0500
This morning between 7:30 and 8:00 a loosely constituted stream of crows
flew across our hilltop pasture (on the Flint Ridge upland) in Hopewell
Township, Muskingum County. A conservative estimate is that 600 crows flew
by while I sipped my morning coffee and gazed out the kitchen window,
before we went out to feed our sheep and horses, and clean the horse barn,
(our daily post-dawn routine.)

A group of about eighty of the birds lingered on our land and the field
across Flint Ridge Rd. as I worked in and around the barns. The crows
seemed agitated, swooping around and calling, but I could not see any
deserving focus of their attention (like a hawk or something.) Perhaps it
was just their own form of morning exuberance.

I mention this abundance of crows because it has not been a daily
occurrence. This is the first I have noticed such a flight. Perhaps a
winter roost is forming near the west side of Dillon Reservoir, which is a
little more than a mile distant from our place, as the crow flies.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County