OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2023 11:57:26 -0400
After searching my favorite spots at Denison this morning with no luck for Mourning Warbler, I thought I would check Lobdell even though I’ve never heard or seen one there but it seemed like good habitat. I heard a single bird not very close to the trail but was never able to spot it before it went silent. I returned to the area a bit later and heard it again. Finally it perched singing fairly high above eye level in the glaring sun but I could just make out the gray hood against yellow & the black bib. It fell silent again so I waited well over half an hour when it started singing from an hidden perch in the same area.

It flew across the trail, landed & stayed low, chipping some and singing a soft, partial song so I could estimate where it was. Finally my patience was rewarded when it perched on a fallen log giving me a clear sight line & lovely views, even a couple photos! Then it hopped down and vanished into the tangles. FOY.

O/w, the birding was pretty quiet, not that I’m complaining….pretty much the same birds I’ve been seeing.

Denison
Warblers
Redstart
Yellow
Com YT
N Parula
KY
Plus Chat

Swainson’s & Wood Thrush, had good views of Gray-cheeked yesterday.
White-eyed & Red-eyed Vireos
Indigo Bunting
E Kingbird
Scarlet Tanager
Acadian FC, peewee
Hairy WP

Lobdell
Same warblers & Chat plus the Mourning
Warbling Vireo plus RE & WE
Willow FC plus Acadian, peewee, E Phoebe
Baltimore Oriole
Indigo Bunting
Swainson’s & Wood Thrush

Peggy Wang