OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2022 19:54:10 -0400
I teamed up with Bob McNulty this morning at Blacklick for what ended up being rather lackluster birding but good company (although I just now saw his post that perhaps the slow birding was my doing…and of course I thought about blaming him…;-) ).

It was quite foggy at first then warm & humid with the first mosquitos buzzing—oh joy.

Highlights were a FOS Philadelphia Vireo, Gray-cheeked Thrush and both tanagers (although the tanagers were heard better than seen by me).

We also saw 2 Barred Owls, one in flight then another perched which flew shortly after. Prob two of the youngsters.

Warblers
Tennessee (h)
Am Redstart
Yellow-throated (h)
Bay-breasted
BT Blue
BT Green (h)
Kentucky (h)
Com YT (h)
Magnolia
N Parula

Gray-cheeked Thrush
Swainson’s Thrush
Wood Thrush

Philadelphia Vireo FOS
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo

Chimney Swift
Baltimore Oriole
Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager

Denison was pretty quiet and quite warm late afternoon but the walk was worth it to see a Canada Warbler at eye level. I continue to hear 2 Prairie Warblers which have not wanted to be seen. Their songs seem slightly different and the two locales are at different ends of the preserve. Nesting??

Warblers
Canada
Am Redstart
Tennessee
Com YT
Yellow
Prairie (h)
N Parula (h)

Chat

Red-shouldered Hawk—heard a youngster begging & saw an adult fly out of the area so surmising it was likely a young red-shouldered begging.

Wood Duck hen—only 4 ducklings seen today.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone