OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 11:27:17 -0500
Sandy Tkach and I conducted the monthly survey on Friday, January 23.
This was the 17th year for a January survey.  In 2000 we could not get
to the island to conduct the survey during the month.  Retirement is
so much more fun than working...

36 species were observed along the route which is below the average
for January of 41 and 3205 individuals observed is well below the
average of 6382 individuals.  Much of the island is iced in with some
open water to the SE and E.  One new species was added to the January
list of 92 species observed in 18 years.  That was Turkey Vulture.
Three were found on Thursday and 2 were observed during the survey.
Strange year for them to try to winter over...

The survey began at 8:00 AM and ended at 1215 PM which is a little
faster than normal but when there are so few birds we move along.
Temps began at 27 and ended at 33 F, winds were 5 to 15 mph from the
W-SW, and mostly overcast skies.

13     Tundra Swan
575   Greater Scaup
56     Bufflehead
777   Common Goldeneye
150   Common Merganser
450   Diving Ducks?
*       Wild Turkey
2       Turkey Vulture
8       Bald Eagle
1       Sharp-shinned Hawk
1       Cooper's Hawk
2       Red-tailed Hawk
22     Ring-billed Gull
285   Herring Gull
14     Great Black-backed Gull
125   Gull species?
4       Eastern Screech-Owl
1       Great Horned Owl
*       Long-eared Owl
*       Northern Saw-whet Owl
6       Red-bellied Woodpecker
34     Downy Woodpecker
9       Northern Flicker
1       Blue Jay
81     American Crow
119    Black-capped Chickadee
1       Red-breasted Nuthatch
3       White-breasted Nuthatch
12     Brown Creeper
1       Winter Wren
2       Carolina Wren
3       Golden-crowned Kinglet
11      Hermit Thrush
2       American Robin
324    European Starling
4       Yellow-rumped Warbler
*        Song Sparrow
2       Swamp Sparrow
7       White-throated Sparrow
4       Dark-eyed Junco
29     Northern Cardinal
*        House Finch
*        American Goldfinch
64      House Sparrow

36 Species Observed
3205 individuals observed

* = observed on island on survey day but not on route

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio