OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 21:56:14 +0000
The birding community in Ohio has decided to tear itself apart. An historical post, made some people go crazy. I sure would have liked to see such passion when it comes to bird conservation or habitat protection. But no. We are our own worst enemy and that is why birders have no political clout. They would prefer to insult one another.
I'm a birder and conservationist. I spend many hours trying to influence elected officials at all levels on the importance of habitat and conservation. Birds are the indicator of how successful we are in these areas. I think we are failing. We very rarely honor those who work for bird conservation or education but instead we celebrate those who build the biggest list and all that it takes to achieve such list.
We are a sad group and I'm very disappointed. We have our priorities in the wrong place.
Jeff Harvey