OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2017 21:18:48 -0400
Amazing day at Magee, especially since I only went up for the day. Started slow, maybe b/c of the cloud cover but then the warblers just kept on coming! Alas, no Connecticut, still my big miss this spring, but when are they ever easy? I did hear a short segment of song that sure sounded like a CT but too short for me to count it & I never heard it again. Interestingly, I ran into another birder who had had the same experience in roughly the same area & he was also reluctant to tick it.

More than making up for it was (those who don't have a Mourning Warbler this spring, stop reading now) 4! sightings of at least 2 different birds (bib was a bit different) with extended looks on open perches, even some photo ops. Basically, each time I went west or east on the Boardwalk, I saw a Mourning Warbler & I made 2 round trip treks.

At one spot near a shaded puddle, myself & a few other birders watched in amazement as 11 species of warblers came in to bathe in the late afternoon.

Other highlights, another Woodcock showing well by the boardwalk, both cuckoos practically side by side from the W tower, nice Dunlin along the entry road. I also picked up 2 target birds, Olive-sided & Yellow-bellied FCs. Green Heron & BC Night-Heron (ad). Hairy WP.

Warblers: Tennessee, Nashville, N Parula, yellow, chestnut-sided, Magnolia, black throated blue, yellow-rumped, BT green, Blackburnian, bay-breasted, blackpoll, black-and-white, American redstart, Prothonotary, ovenbird, Mourning Warbler, common yellowthroat, Wilson's and Canada.

Peggy Wang
Hudson

Sent from my iPad