OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2019

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2019 15:39:31 -0400
Just a clarification on the Swainson’s Warbler in New Carlisle. I think other birders were getting good looks from down in the woods by the stream today but my experience there is that sight lines are more cluttered and it’s more dumb luck if u happen to be in a spot that gives you a clear view when the Warbler perches. From the paved trail, it’s easier to track the bird, and more quietly, too, with wider views of the thick undergrowth.  The light is usually better for photos as well, quite dark by the stream. Seeing the bird flash across the trail is pretty cool, too!

I stopped by Battelle Darby on the way home. Heard one Bell’s Vireo as soon as I got out of my car at the parking lot for the bike trail near Kumlein Rd.

I went on in search of a Sedge Wren on the Teal Trail having been just about the only birder in the universe who missed the one on the Magee Boardwalk (by about 5 hrs).

Although it was warm & after noon, I believe I heard one or two but not close. I definitely heard a few & then saw one Marsh Wren that was kind enough to perch up & sing near me.

At least 3 Com Gallinules.

As I was searching for the Sedge Wren, I was thinking the reeds by the lake looked like a good spot for Am Bittern when not 5 minutes later, one flushed not far from  me! Great views in flight before it dropped farther back into thick reeds.

All in all, a successful day. Thx for all the helpful posts on the Swainson’s.

New yard bird the other day in Granville was an incessantly calling Great Crested Flycatcher.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone