OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bryan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bryan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2020 17:34:44 -0500
Well, I’ve got more feeders up at my house than I can keep full in hopes of the 2020 Evening Grosbeak Tour stopping by..  So far, none to report.

Lots of Pine Siskin coming and going, along with some Purple Finch, Chipping Sparrows, and Dark-eyed Juncos.

I checked a few spots throughout the county over the weekend.

Anderson Meadows-  I tried in hopes of a possible Northern Saw-whet Owl.  Great looking habitat; acres upon acres of pines that open up to a large grassland/prairie area.  I had a Great Horned calling for over an hour, and had 2 owls that I couldn’t get a positive ID on; possible Screech Owl or maybe a Saw-whet??  Will be trying back in a week or so and definitely once it gets colder.  I have seen Northern Harriers here, so I would think Short-eared Owls would be in the same area?

Old Lock 27- FOS Wilson’s Snipe amongst some killdeer.

Hecla Water Treatment Plant/Ralph Road-
FOS American Pipit (5). Pretty excited about those, as I’ve only ever had (1) lone Pipit 2 years ago.

FOY Lawrence County American Wigeon with the resident Mallard flock in a small pond off Beulah Lane.

Good birding,
Bryan Smith
Proctorville, OH

Sent from my iPhone