OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2017 14:23:14 -0500
The Columbus Audubon trip to Hoover Reservoir this morning had cold
temperatures and not much to show for it.  We stopped at the Dam, Walnut St
ramp, Maxtown ramp, and Baldridge ramp, before heading over to Hoover
Meadows.  The cold south wind whipped up the reservoir, but the only big #s
of waterbirds were around the dam, where we had flocks of gulls and Hooded
Mergansers.  Small clusters of landbirds were in the quiet areas around the
boat ramps, but it was slim pickings for most of the morning.  Best birds
included:

Buffleheads - at least 1 pair were above the dam
Hooded Mergansers - 50+ above the dam, with far fewer elsewhere
Bald Eagles - none on the reservoir, but 2 were soaring over Hoover Meadows
Gulls - lots of Ring-bills & Bonapartes in the lower reservoir
E.Bluebirds - flocks of 6 at Maxtown and 8 at Baldridge
Golden-cr.Kinglets - singles at Maxtown and Baldridge

For variety we came back along Miller-Paul Rd looking for raptors or open
country birds - finding none - , and stopped at Rocky Fork Metropark, where
we were treated to a big sparrows flock on the prairie north of the parking
area that included 30+ Tree Sparrows, 8-10 Song Sparrows, and 4-5 Swamp
Sparrows.  Also present were 2 red-tailed Hawks and 2 N.Harriers.