OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2018 14:05:26 -0500
Still scouting for the CBC, I visited several spots along this creek
southeast of Columbus this morning, starting at Reynoldsburg Civic Park,
then moving through the east part of Blacklick Woods, Portman Park, and
Chatterton wetlands.  Lots of birds out despite the cold, with the notables
being

waterfowl - Mallards widespread, but also had 1 N.Shoveler and 3 Gadwalls
mixed in with a big flock of 150 Mallards at Chatterton wetlands.

Hawks - Red-tails in several spots, but also had a Red-shouldered at
Chatterton wetlands

House Wren - 1 was with sparrows along the east loop of the Multipurpose
Trail at Blacklick Woods.  This is about as late as I've seen them, but
Blacklick has had late ones before.

Catbird - 1 was calling and feeding along the bike path at Chatterton
wetlands, which had a decent amount of wild berries still.

Sparrows - the cold seems to have driven in small flocks of White-throats,
which were everywhere, but I also had 1 Field and 3-4 Trees at Chatterton.
The new prairie at Reynoldsburg Civic had plenty of Songs & White-throats,
but nothing unusual yet.