OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:14:09 -0400
I stuck around to look for other birds after seeing the target bird well in the morning perched on the brush pile off Jockey Hollow mentioned by others. Later in the day, I watched it perched much farther out in what appeared to be its favorite tree in the middle of the valley, also viewed from Jockey Hollow. It would make short flights, s/t gaining some altitude, but then return to the same tree. It perched at the top of the tree but s/t on a lower branch to the Rt at about 3 o’clock.

The most interesting behavior occurred (of course) when I left my scope to get some more water from my car. The kite left its perch and when I located it again, it was harassing a red-tailed hawk at some height. It was something to see the size difference between the two and I must say the kite, although it dive-bombed the red-tailed a couple times, it did keep a somewhat respectful distance. The kite made what appeared to be aggressive moves (territorial?) but the red-tailed did not seem to be impressed and drifted off toward flushing-Cadiz rd. I did not see the red-tailed try to turn on the kite and the kite made its way back safely to its same perch.

It went up for some short flights after that, up and down the valley, but also fairly high. I don’t know if this is just hunting/scanning behavior or if it’s thinking about heading south. I left him perched in his favorite tree around 3:30pm.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Other good birds, besides the many bobolinks & E Meadowlarks, were many grasshopper sparrows perched & singing. I also heard Henslow’s but could not find one perched up. I heard a pheasant call in the distance a couple times. I heard a chat.

I did not find the upland sandpipers or the dickcissel. The dickcissel had been seen in the morning but I didn’t talk to anybody who had seen the Upland SPs today. A Black-billed Cuckoo was seen this morning when the kite was perched but I missed it. I heard at least 2 BB Cuckoos on Friday. I had a Blue Grosbeak late Friday & they were seen/heard today.

This is really a lovely spot with some gorgeous habitat. I’m really curious to see if the kite will stay or whether it will try to find its way back south. Mornings seem somewhat more reliable to see the kite relatively close on the brush pile on the near Ridge. O/w, it seems to perch at some distance.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone