OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dave Dvorak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Dvorak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:46:16 -0400
In the great plains, mountain west, and desert southwest you can travel long
distances and not see a house sparrow. When you come to a small town or rest
area there they are! They thrive on human settlement and adapt to eating
about anything!

Earlier this year, at an outside restaurant area in Oberlin, there were a
couple of chipping sparrows walking around tables looking for scraps. This
was a first for me seeing a native sparrow panhandling!

David Dvorak Jr.