OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2023 14:48:57 -0400
I just got back from a few days at the Magee Marsh area but because of the insane crowds on the boardwalk, I birded mostly in Ottawa & Howard Marsh and also visited a couple new areas, Pipe Creek and Sheldon Marsh. Highlights for me were Little Gull even if v distant scope views, stunning views of Purple Gallinule (OH bird) & Least Bittern, seeing both a roosting Whip-poor-will & Com Nighthawk & finally seeing Black Tern for OH, quite distant also. Saw 22 warblers for the trip—not bad considering I spent v little time on the boardwalk. Biggest surprise bird was a male Ring-necked Pheasant feeding on some grasses near a marsh by the condo we rented! Best/longest looks I’ve ever had of a Ring-necked Pheasant!

I was glad to come back home and still find good birding. Despite the cloudy chilly conditions, there was a good variety of warblers this morning at Denison, mostly single birds. I also saw my FOY Gray-cheeked Thrush. It was nice to see a Veery there as well – it’s not a bird I see often at Denison. Singing Wood Thrushes, a couple Swainson’s thrushes & a Hermit thrush rounded out the thrushes. Not sure I’ve ever gotten all five in one visit. (Robin & bluebird seen also.)

Acadian FCs arrived during my absence and were vocal along with peewees. Other FCs: Least, Great Crested.

Had great views of a Lincoln’s Sparrow but no White-throateds today, just Song, Field plus towhees.

Warblers—managed to get eyes on most of them: Yellow, Am Redstart (male & female), B&W (female), Chestnut-sided, N Parula, Prairie (heard), Magnolia, La WT, Tennessee, BT Green (h), BT Blue (h), Blackburnian, Kentucky, Com YT, Hooded (h), Nashville (h), Yellow-rumped. Plus YB Chat

Vireos: White-eyed, Red-eyed. Thought I heard a distant Yellow-throated Vireo but decided not to count it.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole
BG Gnatcatcher
Green Heron