OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Betsy MacMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy MacMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2018 16:53:34 -0500
  I've never had Bluebirds at my feeders till today. They very rarely have
been seen in my yard, but today a pair was on my feeders and did not stay.
I went right out and sprinkled mealworms on the tray beneath the thistle
feeder and within 45 minutes they were back eating them.  Now I have 3
bluebirds, feeding on the tray, the ground, landing on my deck, and
drinking from my bird bath.
  Thanks to the man ahead of me at the bird store in Akron who was buying
mealworms to feed his Bluebirds.  I only ever had put them out in the
summer, but decided to try again now. Maybe you should offer mealworms
 too, especially if you've seen them in your neighborhood! Bluebirds make a
cheerful, colorful addition on these frigid days.
Happy Birding,
Betsy Mac

PS -A Red-shouldered Hawk hunted my yard for over an hour today, but came
up empty.