OHIO-BIRDS Archives

April 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2023 10:49:49 -0400
I replied to Laura separately, but for anyone else looking to search for recent sightings of shorebirds, or any species for that matter, you can use eBird Bar Charts to get all the recent (or historical for that matter) sightings from checklists. Here are the steps:

Go to EXPLORE on the home page, then click on BAR CHARTS
Fill in your state (Ohio) from the list, then select COUNTIES in Ohio, then scroll down and click CONTINUE
Select your county from the list then click CONTINUE
Scroll down the list to find the bird(s) of interest, then click on the MAP ICON (the little blue flag next to the bird name)
You now have a HOTSPOT MAP, the red icons being locations with sightings of your bird within the last 30 days
Find a hotspot near you and click on the red icon
This give you a list of checklists for that location, starting with the most recent
Click on the blue date to see any checklist (this checklist will open in a new window)
When you are done with that checklist, JUST CLOSE THAT CHECKLIST (X), and you will be back to the page of hotspots to continue your search

I hope that helps.  It's a lot of steps, but after you do it a few times it's really pretty fast.

If you would like more detailed instructions on using eBird, you can always go the HELP in eBird, or send me an email and I will send you a study guide prepared for our eBird 101 course.

Matt Valencic
Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland