OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 19:34:58 -0400
I wanted to try another bigger lake area after striking out at East Fork. For scoters.
Since a good year! Thankfully I had both White winged and Black! I am having
better success with these than Siskins..... which I still need for ohio.....
Anyway - Harveysburg Rd. area for all the waterfowl I had today. Well, most.
I thought I would find a better view as I hit various spots around the lake. No.

I believe the WW Scoters were there all afternoon. I had a flock in low flight.
At Harveysburg. But never could find on the ground so to speak. But when I
got to the other side of the lake and scanned across to Harveysburg Rd. area,
I had a huge line of waterfowl! That were probably everything I had when
I was along Harveysburg Rd.

I have been reading my 2.... Ohio bird books. I will get more when I see them!
Both say that WW Scoter is the more common one on the inland bigger lakes
during migration. I had 10.  And 2 Black Scoters. That holds true so far!

Nature notes - cold..... I didn't see any insects. Still berries around for our
feathered friends though!

I just get home and Andrew calls. 2 Siskin at Rowe. I head back out! Thinking
its going to be iffy - a very late afternoon feeder watch there. Yep. No
Siskins for me......

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini